Burning Glass Technologies is a leading labor market analytics provider whose tools play a growing role in closing the skills gap and informing educational needs for the emerging workforce. We provide researchers, policy makers, educators, and employers with detailed insight into labor-market demand. Burning Glass proudly serves a global client base, including educational institutions, government workforce agencies, academic research centers, global recruitment and staffing agencies, major employers, and leading job boards.
About the Position
We seek a Senior Analyst to join the firm’s Knowledge Architecture (KA) team, part of the Analytics team. This team performs qualitative and quantitative research to build and maintain Burning Glass’s databases of more than 500 million online job postings and 25 million resumes, and to prepare these data to be used in our products. For example, taxonomies and data produced by the KA team power products that: provide career guidance to students and job seekers, allowing them to see available career paths and what is needed to follow those paths; inform recruiters about the market conditions for positions they are looking to fill; and help educational institutions decide on programs to offer so they can better serve local labor market demand.
This position focuses on the ways in which related jobs are grouped into occupational categories, as well as the information we are able to link to each occupation or group of occupations. Well-defined occupations are critical to making the data in our products, including the ones described above, resonate with our customers and help them interact with the labor market more effectively. The ideal candidate will possess both qualitative and quantitative research skills, and will have a strong sense of how data are best structured and organized in the labor market context.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading research and analysis independently to strengthen Burning Glass’s taxonomy of occupations and related data, such as the courses of study that prepare students for a given occupation.
- Working with our team of data scientists and analysts to implement and test advanced methods of processing our labor market data.
- Keeping abreast of changes to government occupation taxonomies in multiple countries, and ensuring our systems are updated accordingly.
- Following established processes and best practices; implementing process improvements that make the team’s work run more smoothly, for junior and senior team members alike.
- Managing business rules that encode text-based documents (resumes and job postings) into analyzable data.
- Driving projects involving stakeholders across the organization to strengthen our products and support our clients, and communicating with clients relevant to those projects where necessary.
The ideal candidate is highly professional, intelligent, mature, and organized. S/he is able to work independently, multitask, and anticipate requests, and enjoys working in a busy, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in economics, statistics, sociology, or another social science. Master’s degree a plus.
- 5+ years of total work experience.
- 3+ years of experience in data-related product development or research preferred.
- Highly detail-oriented with superior organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Strong fluency in Excel.
- Experience with SQL and/or statistical analysis software such as R, SAS, SPSS, or STATA is a plus.
- Intense intellectual curiosity.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits package offered. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter outlining analytics skills and relevant experience to email@example.com. PLEASE NOTE: Resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered.