About Burning Glass
At Burning Glass Technologies, we strive to create a job market that works for everyone. We are an analytics software company whose tools play a growing role in informing the global conversation on education and the workforce by turning data into insight. Powered by the world’s largest and most sophisticated database of jobs and talent, we deliver real-time data and breakthrough planning tools that inform careers, define academic programs, and shape workforces.
About the Position
Analytics are at the heart of our mission, and our Analytics team plays a critical role in delivering insights for our products and clients from hundreds of millions of job postings and resumes. The team is responsible for developing models for classifying, validating, and understanding the job market data in our software products; ensuring and maintaining data quality; and creating reports which analyze areas of the labor market that are critical to our clients and partners. Our team’s technology stack includes Python and R for data science and analysis, and SQL Server, ElasticSearch, and MongoDB for managing and working with our large datasets.
We seek a Research Analyst to join the firm’s growing analytics team. The Research Analyst will play a vital role in supporting Burning Glass’s public and client-based research, as well as develop cutting-edge analytics to provide insight to power Burning Glass products. Burning Glass’s research is driving the national conversation around some of the most critical issues facing the job market, and is frequently cited in national publications such as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and the Economist. Sample client engagements include writing reports on best-bet job opportunities for entry level job seekers for major foundations and tracking emerging technology skills for Fortune 100 companies. The ideal candidate will possess strong quantitative research skills, and will have a passion for using data to illustrate key trends and tell actionable stories.
- Manipulating, validating, and analyzing data using SQL, R, Python, and other analytical tools to develop insights about emerging trends in the labor market.
- Creating visualizations of complex data sets for ease of understanding
- Pulling and preparing data for public reports and media outreach efforts.
- Running specified queries using Burning Glass’s proprietary labor market database and other published data sources, preparing data for presentation, and verifying data accuracy.
- Developing new metrics and scoring methodologies to describe the labor market
- Supporting client engagements across a range of industries including higher education and human capital management.
- Writing summaries of research results.
The ideal candidate is highly professional, intelligent, mature, and organized. S/he is able to work independently, multitask, and anticipate requests, and enjoys working in a busy, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
Other Requirements Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, or another quantitative field
- Experience manipulating, cleaning, and analyzing large datasets
- Advanced proficiency required in at least one of the following statistical analysis/data management tools: SQL, R, Python, SAS, or STATA
- Experience creating data visualizations in PowerPoint, Tableau, R, or other tools
- Prior research experience or a thesis that demonstrates strong research skills.
- Highly detail-oriented with superior organizational skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Intense intellectual curiosity.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits package offered. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter outlining analytics skills and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Resumes submitted without cover letters will not be considered.